The National Capital Region Branch supports the work of UNA Canada to focus on the UN issues of peace and security, sustainable development, human rights, and global cooperation. We work directly with actively engaged youth and educators, academics and other non-government organizations to encourage and promote positive global change at a local level. We foster Canadian support for the UN and the values that drive it – freedom, equity, tolerance, non-violence, respect for nature and shared responsibility.
While the National Office of the UN Association does have paid staff, the NCRB is comprised only of volunteers. We have no employees and so unfortunately cannot offer summer employment to students.
There are many ways, however, that you could contribute to our modest organization through large and small activities at different times of the year and with varying degrees of responsibility.
VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM
Download our volunteer application form, fill it in and email it to ncrb.unac @ gmail dot com.
- “Research and Reporting” on the UN system (a family of over 84 entities) and its activities, most of which are rarely reported by news-media (to get a sense of how big the family is, go to http://www.un.org/en/sections/about-un/main-organs/index.html
- Organizing public “Events” (on our own and in concert with like-minded groups) to bring together activists, citizens and experts to discuss how we can make a better world (UN’s Observances are good dates around which to organize events: see http://www.un.org/en/sections/observances/united-nations-observances/);
- “Liaison” with other groups in the community to learn about their activities, inform them of ours, and assess opportunities for joint activities;
- Working with “Schools”, other educational entities, and educators at all levels to provide information and activities at workshops and in classrooms;
- “Communications” to publish an occasional newsletter, write an article or blog post, produce e-bulletins and notices of events in the community, maintain our web-site, experiment with digital social media, and cultivate the news-media;
- “Fund-raising” on a modest level to cover costs of our activities; and,
- “Administration” including mailings (postal and digital), record-keeping and other periodic, essential tasks that keep everything else running.
To help us get to know you better (in terms of your interests, experience and ambitions), please look at our questionnaire. If you can send us your answers, then we can discuss them with you and assess whether and how you would likely find the NCRB to be of interest to you.
BECOME A MEMBER
Become a member! You do not have to participate regularly to become a member of the Branch. You can stay engaged in the work of UNA Canada and our local Branch through our communications and you will receive our Branch newsletter – the Communiqué – and regular updates on our activities and events. Past and current editions of the newsletter can be found here.
In order to become a member all you need to do is sign up to make a small, medium or large monthly contribution to support the work of our organization. Signing up to become a member is quick and easy. We are very appreciate for the ongoing support of our members.
MAKE A DONATION
The NCRB-UNAC has no operating budget and is entirely run by volunteerS. We rely solely on donations and fundraising activities to cover expenses. If you do not wish to become a member, please consider a one time donation. You will receive a tax receipt for your generosity. Every little bit counts.